After years of use we can safely say that this has been the best Arcteryx jacket!
What is the best Arcteryx jacket? In my opinion it is the Arcteryx Alpha Gore-Tex Pro shell that I purchased in the early noughties and it is still going strong. The Arc’teryx Alpha shell jackets are lightweight, durable, waterproof, flexible and have some simple features that make this the best all round outdoor waterproof jacket. You know when a manufacturer has got a concept right when it keeps making it. That’s the Arc’teryx Alpha jacket. Yes it is expensive for a GoreTex shell, but compared to other shells that I have owned, this is jacket is still alive and kicking!
Why do I think this is the best Arcteryx jacket?
I have used this Arc’teryx jacket for pretty much everything. It has kept me warm and dry for hiking, climbing, skiing, dog walking, music festivals and has travelled with me to Iceland, France, Austria, Switzerland, Italy, Andorra, Germany, Finland, America amongst many other places.
The manufacturers description …
The iconic Arc’teryx Alpha SV is a proven performer in severe alpine conditions. Obsession keeps us pushing forward, and working closely with Gore, we have developed the strongest Alpha SV Ever.
Utilising extremely durable yet breathable GORE-TEX PRO with Most Rugged Technology, we have paired our most durable face fabric for incredibly long-lasting storm protection. The Micro Grid Backer enhances resistance to abrasion and contamination. The backer is dope dyed, a process using substantially less resources than traditional dye processes. Featured for confidence in extreme conditions, the Alpha SV includes an embedded RECCO® reflector for improved searchability in emergency situations, our helmet compatible StormHood™, pit zips, and articulated construction that frees you to move across mountain terrain.
- Highly durable
- Abrasion resistant
- Laminated high-strength hanger loop
- Micro-seam allowance (1.6 mm) reduces bulk and weight
- Strategically placed narrow GORE seam tape (8mm width)
- Super durable N100d Most Rugged 3L GORE-TEX PRO is highly abrasion resistant.
Our ‘best Arcteryx jacket’, the Alpha SV has lots of useful features…
- It is highly adjustable (waist, mid, head, face, wrists) which makes it easy to change how the jacket sit depending on how you’re using it and what layers you are wearing beneath it.
- You can wear with ski, climbing and even cycling helmets.
- It has a ski-pass pocket on the left arm.
- The pockets can fit OS sized maps.
- There is a laminated chin guard which doesn’t cause friction.
- It is lightweight and you can fold it away easily into the hood.
- The fabric is hard wearing and despite the abuse, it hasn’t ripped.
So is it the best Arcteryx jacket?
I own several Arcteryx jackets so it is quite a claim to say that this is the best Arcteryx jacket as there are undoubtedly other jackets out there from this brand that will be great.
The fact that my Alpha SV is still going strong after all these years, without any faults whatsoever and that you can still buy this jacket, I’m going out on a limb and saying …. “Yes, this is the best Arcteryx jacket!!!”